Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Wonder Of The Universe

I asked for, and received the movie "Expelled" for Christmas. I had seen it in the theaters, but thought it would be cool to have my own copy. I finally opened the thing up and watched it last week. If you're not familiar with "Expelled," it's a documentary that talks about whether or not there is any scientific credence to the "Intelligent Design" theory, and how those in the world of academics who subscribe to the theory are discriminated against. I would recommend you check it out (plus Ben Stein is really funny, and just a cool guy).

Also included in the DVD packaging was a tiny little booklet called "The Wonder Of The Universe: A Special Collection of Quotations from Great Minds Throughout History." After reading through the booklet and appreciating its contents, I thought I'd post some of the quotes here.

"I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens and say there is no God."
Abraham Lincoln

"O Lord, thou givest us everything, at the price of an effort."
-Leonardo Da Vinci

"No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions."
-Charles P. Steinmetz

"Curiosity is the thirst of the soul."
-Samuel Johnson

"Science brings men nearer to God."
-Louis Pasteur

"Truth between candid minds can never do harm."
-Thomas Jefferson

"The visible marks of extraordinary wisdom and power appear so plainly in all the works of the creation that a rational creature, who will but seriously reflect on them, cannot miss the discovery of a Deity."
-John Locke

"As a house implies a builder, and a garment a weaver, and a door a carpenter, so does the existence of the Universe imply a Creator."
-Marquis de Vauvenargues

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
-Galileo Galilei

"Nature is the art of God."
-Dante Alghieri

"The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator."
-Louis Pasteur

No comments: