Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Weird Church Sign

I was driving from my parents' house to work today, and I drove past a United Methodist church that had a portable sign out in the front that read, "If you don't throw the dice, you can't roll a six." I don't know about you, but I consider that to be an odd thing for a church to put on their sign. It's completely void of any context, it has nothing to do with spirituality, plus it has to do with chance. Not chance in the gambling sort of way, but chance when it comes to God. Are we really rolling the dice in life when it come's to our relationship with God? I don't think so.

Church's just need to stop putting stupid crap on their signs. How many goofy, cliche, catch phrases to we need? I wonder how many people really drive by those signs, read the stupid cliche on it and say, "Wow, that was really powerful," as compared to how many who drive by, read the cliche and mutter something under their breath about how stupid it is. Personally, I tend to fall into the latter category.

In my early twenties I was the janitor at Riverview, which meant I was highly involved with our church's sign - the maintenance of it, what to put on it, etc. In my opinion, it was always best to just put the dates and times of the church's programs on the sign, rather than try to get cutesy and put some goofy catch phrase or cliche on the sign. Believe it or not, I actually saw this on the sign of a local church in Inver Grove Heights:


How stupid is that! This sign basically says, "Come to our church because we're better than Google." If a church has to start appealing to people because of their superiority over something like Google, they've completely lost it.

Our default sign setting at Riverview is "God's Word is truth." I like that. It's not cutesy. It's not a catch phrase. It's not a cliche. It's not trying to appeal to your sensitive side. You either like it, or you don't. You agree, or you don't. It also says a lot about our church. We believe God's word is truth, and that's it.

At the very least, you have to admit that it's better than "If you don't throw the dice, you'll never roll a six."

No comments: