Monday, January 19, 2009

South Dakota Bound


I'm in Sioux Falls, South Dakota this week to attend a required course for my seminary education. I have to take this class before they'll let me take any other classes this spring. It's certainly not the most convenient of trips, but it has to be done.

I came down here last March to visit the campus, and the drive down was less than fun. I was driving at night and found the highways to be sketchy, with spots of ice on them that weren't revealed by the headlights of my car until I was right on top of them. It was rather nerve wracking.

To avoid the same thing happening this time around, I decided to make the trip in the daylight, so even if the roads were bad I'd at least have the light available to navigate them safely.

My plan didn't work.

About half way through the trip, the wind began to blow at an extreme speed. Snow was whipping across the highway, hiding the pavement, and I literally had to adjust my steering to offset the force of the wind. This became especially interesting when I drove under bridges, where there was no wind. As soon as went under the bridge, the wind stopped, and my steering wheel position caused my car to jerk to the right. And then when I was out from beneath the bridge, the wind slammed me back to the left.

And since the snow was blowing so wildly, it was blowing snow all over and across the highway. It wasn't particularly slippery, but it was very difficult to see the road.

So, needless to say, despite my efforts to make my drive this time more comforting and relaxing, it was anything but. Hopefully the trip home (Friday!) will be more smooth.

No comments: