Thursday, March 14, 2013

Back from a Brief Hiatus (Thus & Such, Vol. 20)

It's been a while since I've posted regularly on this site.  This has been due to an increase in my work level and responsibilities in recent weeks, and the process that led up to said increase in the weeks previous to that.  Needless to say, I am the one-legged man in the butt-kicking contest.

I hope all that will change soon, however, as I seem to be getting into more of a rhythm with my new set of responsibilities and schedule.  Hopefully this will allow me to post more frequently.  So for now, here is the 20th installment of Thus & Such.

1. In my (cough) free time, I've started another blog.  Yeah, I know, I just complained about not having enough time to post on this blog, and then in the next breath I reveal that I've started another blog.  Kind of hypocritical, but it is the way it is.  Posting on this other blog is considerably less time consuming than posting here, so I guess that's how I rationalize it.  Anyway, it's a blog that celebrates my affinity for church signs - bad ones in particular.  Take a look.

2. My church has, from time to time, very informally considered the possibility of removing the word "Baptist" from its official name.  You see a lot of churches nowadays that don't indicate a denominational persuasion in their name.  Good idea?  Bad idea?  A little from column A, a little from column B, according to this research.

3. While I was at Bethel Seminary, one of the concepts they continuously tried to hammer home in our brains was self-differentiation.  What is self-differentiation?  It sounds a lot like what Denny Burk defines here as "teachability."

4. Have you ever been presented with a rule prohibiting a certain thing and found yourself wondering just how close to the line you could get without crossing it?  I think that must be what it's like to be Amish.  There are so many prohibitions against what you can't do that the Amish have made an art form out of coming right up to the line but not crossing it.  

No comments: