Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Thus & Such, Vol. 5

1. "As I approach  my 94th birthday, I realize this election may be my last."  Someday, years from now, we may be asking ourselves "How would Billy Graham vote?" as a litmus test to guide us to perceived correct political action.  Well, this very brief statement and article about how he is voting should wrap that question up nicely.  Turns out that Graham has removed Mormonism from his website's list of cults.  One can only assume that he has done so in order to legitimize the idea of voting for Mitt Romney.  While I applaud Graham's belief that Christians should vote for those who want to protect life and marriage, I do not agree that I must be in theological agreement with Mitt Romney in order to vote for him.  To that end, it's very unfortunate that Graham (or probably more accurately, his people) have felt the need to give Mormonism some theological clout by taking them off their list of cults.  Mormonism is a cult, to be sure, and it does not align with orthodox Christianity.  But note, that doesn't necessarily mean that a Christian can't vote for a Mormon.  It's just a shame that, with removing Mormonism from the cult list, Billy Graham could possibly be legitimizing Mormonism in several people's eyes.

2. I posted a few days ago about Twins left fielder Josh Willingham's faith story, and now Desiring God has published more of it, including some video interviews.  While I wasn't too impressed at first (it's very common, and maybe even trendy for celebrities - especially athletes - to have stronger than death stories of overcoming obstacles), I have come to appreciate his testimony and witness.  Maybe you will too.

3. "Poorer blacks and Asians are more likely to be gay than wealthier whites, a controversial study claimed yesterday."  This is one of those articles that I'm not really sure what to do with.  I suppose the statistics are interesting, but I'm not sure one can really pull any meaning from them.  Check it out here.

4. "Tomorrow night my children will hit our cul-de-sac, knocking on neighbor's doors, and looking for candy.  One will be dressed as a lady bug, and the other will probably be crying because she is not matching her sister."  To trick or treat, or not to trick or treat?  That is the question.  Cripplegate gives four reasons why trick or treating is OK.

No comments: