Saturday, September 22, 2012

In Search of a Good Reuben

I love Reuben sandwiches.  They're easily my favorite sandwich, and most times I will take a Reuben over a hamburger or something similar.  I really like corned beef, and I'm a huge fan of sauerkraut.  Put them together and, in my opinion, you've got magic.  I don't usually visit delis, though, so I have to find my Reubens at regular restaurants, which is not always the best.  I'm always on the lookout for a good Reuben, though, so if I'm ever somewhere obscure or somewhere I've never been before, I'll get the Reuben.

Today's Reuben came from Champps in St. Paul.  I haven't been to Champps in years.  I forgot how cool of a place it is.  The Reuben at Champps is actually very good.  It comes with a side of waffle fries, which were also very good (side note: if you're having a Reuben, you've got to have waffle fries).    Positives: 1) the Reuben was served on Russian Rye bread, which was a first for me; 2) the beef was cut very thick; 3) there was plenty of dressing.  Negatives: 1) the beef, while thick, was not very "corny."  That is, there wasn't much of a corned beef flavor; 2) the sandwich could have used about twice the amount of sauerkraut - I barely noticed it.  Final score: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

Another Reuben that I've had and liked quite a bit was from Milty's in Lansing, Iowa.  Milty's has a good amount of sauerkraut, and their beefy is corny.  There's only one problem: the meat is sliced too thin, and I think it often times gets a little overcooked.  Score for the Milty's Reuben: 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments: