Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tuesday Happenings

Today seemed to be a weird day. But as I look back on it, it doesn't seem that weird. It seemed weird as it was happening, though. Here's some of what happened.

1. I had a crazy, pounding headache for most of the day. I don't get headaches that often, so when I do, it's something to take notice of. This one started around 11:00 AM and just kept getting worse and worse as the day went on. It made working difficult, and it didn't help that there was all kinds of demolition going on at the church today. Lots of loud noises plus headache don't usually go together too well. When I left the church around lunch time to go to the post office, the sun reflecting off the snow almost made me puke. I took some Advil around lunch, which I rarely do when I have a headache, and it didn't even make a dent. Around 3:00 PM I went up into one of the loft rooms and tried to lay down and shut my eyes for a while. It didn't really help. I bought some more Advil at around 4:30 and pounded a few more. Still not much relief. And by then I was heading to class.

2. One of my Greek midterms was tonight (I say "one of" because there are actually two midterms for this class, which is kind of weird). Needless to say, the headache didn't help with taking the test. Learning Greek has been a lot easier this time around than it was in college. I seem to be getting the concepts a lot easier this time, and recognizing the patterns of the language also seems to be coming easier. All that being said, I don't think I did too well on the exam. It's interesting, because the teacher lets us use whatever tools, cheats, or helps we want to on the exam (except for an English translation), but it's still very possible (even likely, to some extent) to do poorly. Part of this is, I think, just because the teacher makes the tests harder than the rest of the work (which I think is not the best way to conduct an exam). The test is also timed. All of our other translation work isn't timed, but when it comes to the tests, we find ourselves under the gun, which makes it quite difficult. Oh well. There's still another midterm and a final exam coming.

3. I got an interesting call from my sister this afternoon. More on that some other day.

4. As I was leaving Bethel tonight, The Mrs. called me and asked if I was in the garage. I responded that no, in fact I was just leaving the seminary. She thought that was weird, because from her vantage point in the house, she could see that the light in garage was on. I told her to just lock the doors and I'd be home soon. I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary when I got home. It's a mystery.

5. One of the books I read to my son tonight before bed was called "Diesel 10." It's a Thomas the Train book, but it is really strange. You ever heard about books that were written in English, and then translated into another language, and then translated back into English? Here's a good (and funny) example of what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure that something like that happened with this Diesel 10 book. It makes absolutely no sense, and the story jumps around all over the place and introduces new characters without ever explaining where they came from. And apparently the Island of Sodor, as well as Thomas and his friends, are now fueled by some magical gold dust taken from the Magical Railway and is endorsed by a man named "Mr. Conductor." Some secret female train named "Lady" (who doesn't appear in the book until the second to last page) is apparently Mr. Conductor's supplier, and she brings him the secret gold dust from the Magical Railway. I'm not making any of this up. I don't think this is what Rev. Awdry had in mind when he wrote his first books.

6. I ended the day by watching a few episodes of River Monsters. This is a great show. We don't have cable, so I've had to rent the seasons. It's overly dramatic fish tales combined with some really weird and scary looking fish. And the host is pretty good, too. It's a bummer the seasons are only seven episodes long.

7. Now it's 1:00 AM, and it's bed time. Good night.

No comments: