Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Worshiping At The Altar of Chuck Taylor

We've been talking at SHOUT for the past three weeks about using our lives for meaningful things - filling our days with actions for Christ that will last for eternity. It got me thinking when I saw this dude:



This guy says he loves Chucks and he's been on a mission to collect as many pairs as possible. Now don't get me wrong: I love Chucks. I've owned a pair every year of my life since I was 13. In my opinion, they're the best shoe ever made. I've even had a couple pairs custom made for myself. I love Chuck Taylor All Stars.

But when I saw this guy and read his story, I think he may have taken it a bit far (ya think?). It seems to me that his life is defined by how many pairs of shoes he can collect (man, I feel stupid even writing that). Our first reaction may be to laugh and say the guy needs a life, but I think at the same time, we all can probably identify with this guy - if not with Chucks, then with something else. Everybody's got a single desire and passion - something they want more than anything else this world has to offer. This guy likes shoes, and he's not ashamed to say it. He posted this pic on the internet for crying out loud. Now everybody knows him cuz he likes the shoes.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want my life to be full on for living for Christ. I want my one singular passion to be to live for the glory of God. I don't want it to be shoes, a house, a family, a car, money, success, a career, friends, family, or anything but Jesus. That's what I want to define my life by. I want to post a picture on the internet of me living for Christ, and I want everybody to see it. And I won't be ashamed if someone thinks I'm a freak.

No comments: