Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Thus & Such, Vol. 24

This edition of Thus & Such will be comprised of only 1 link, although that link will take you to dozens of other interesting articles.

For the past several weeks, theological and ministerial heavyweights, Doug Wilson and Thabiti Anyabwile have been having a back and forth regarding the issue of American slavery, racism, and racial insensitivity.  Doug Wilson authored a couple of booklets several years ago that attempt to provide some retrospective biblical and theological application to the Civil War and the race issues that led to it.  Anyabwile, an African American pastor, took issue with much of what Wilson had to say in those booklets, and the two graciously and lovingly "duked it out" (I hesitate to use that phrase, because their interactions were charitable and edifying in the best ways possible) over these issues.

I have been following Doug Wilson for at least a couple years now, ever since the "Collision" documentary was released (I've posted on that documentary here).  I have since found wilson to be a brilliant man, theologian, and wordsmith who is second to none.  When I recommend Wilson to others, I often say that I can feel myself getting smarter with each word I take in.  His writing is witty, concise, and packs a powerful punch.

I know less about Anyabwile, and my knowledge of him is basically limited to a blog posting on the Gospel Coalition site every now and again.  After reading his back and forth with Wilson, I have a new respect for him as a theologian and pastor.

Needless to say, the issue of race is an important one, and is also one that can get out of hand rather quickly, and is also one that is need of being addressed by the church.  I'm happy to say that both of these godly men handled the issue and each other with grace and love.

So check out this long list of articles by both men (a brief synopsis of each posting is available here too).  Like me, I think you'll find yourself learning how to better think logically and biblically.

No comments: