Monday, January 24, 2011

John 1 (JSV - Joel Standard Version)

OK, here's John 1 in my Greek translation process. See this post and this post for info on the translation processes. I had previously posted John 14 and 15. Why do those before John 1? Because my teacher assigned me those chapters first. So I figured I'd now start at the beginning of the book. As before, sentences that I am not sure of regarding my own translation I have linked to the NASB rendering. Enjoy.

JOHN 1
In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and God was the word. He was in the beginning with God. All things through him became, and apart from him became nothing. That which became in him was life, and the life was the light of mankind. And the light in the darkness brought forth, and the darkness did not lay hold.

A man came from God. The name of him was John. This man came in, testifying, in order to be a witness about the light, in order that all believe on account of him. He was not that light, but in order that he might be a witness about the light. That light was the truth, which gave light to all men, came into the world. In the world, he was, and the world through him was made, and the world did not know him. Into his own he came, and his own did not receive him. But as many as took him, he gave them authority to become children of God, those believing in the name of him, who not from blood, not from the will of flesh, not from the will of a man were born, but born from God.

And the word became flesh and lived among us, and we beheld the glory of him, glory as of begotten from the Father, filled with grace and truth.

John bore witness about him and cried out and said, “This is he of whom is said, ‘After me, coming one is greater than me; he became earlier than me.” But because the filling of him we have all partaken, and grace against grace, because the law, through Moses, was given, the grace and the truth through Jesus Christ became. No one has ever seen God, the begotten God, which is in the bosom of the father, that he has explained.

And this is the testimony of John, when sent to him – the Jews from Jerusalem – priests and Levites in order to question him, “Who are you?”

And he agreed and did not deny, and agreed that “I am not the Christ.”

And they questioned him, “Who, therefore? You are Elijah?”

And he said, “I am not.”

“You are the prophet?”

And he answered, “No.”

Therefore they said to him, “Who are [you]? In order that an answer we can give the ones who sent us. What do you say about yourself?”

He said, “I, a voice, crying out in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the road of the Lord, even as he said – Isaiah the prophet.’”

And they were sent from the Pharisees. And they questioned him and said to him, “Why, therefore, are you baptizing if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?”

John answered them, saying, “I baptize in water. In the midst of you is standing one you do not know. Behind me is coming one which not I am weighing, in order that loose of him the sandal unbound. These things, in Bethany became, beyond the Jordan where John was baptizing.

The next day he saw Jesus coming to him, and he said, “Behold the Lamb of God, the one who takes up the sins of the world. This is he in behalf of whom I said, “Behind me is coming a man who in front of me became, because before me he was. And I did not recognize him, but in order that he be made manifest to Israel through this coming, I, in water, am baptizing.

And John bore witness, saying that, “I have seen the Spirit come down as a dove from heaven, and abide on him, and I did not recognize him, but the one who sent me to baptize in water, that one to me said, “Upon he whom you see the Spirit come down and abide upon him, this is one who baptizes in the Holy Spirit. As you see, and bear witness that this is the Son of God.”

On the next day again, John was standing and with two disciples of him, and he looked to Jesus as he was walking. He said, “Behold the Lamb of God.” And they heard, the two disciples of him, what was said, and they followed Jesus.

But Jesus turned and looked upon them following, and he said to them, “Who are you seeking?”

They said to him, “Rabbi (which is to say, teacher), where are you abiding?”

He said to them, “Come and see.”

They came, therefore, and saw where he was abiding, and beside him they abided that day. It was the tenth hour.

Andrew was the brother of Simon Peter – one of the two who heard from John – and followed him. He found this one earlier than his brother Simon, and he said to him, “We have found the Messiah (that is, which means, Christ). He took him to Jesus. Jesus looked to him, and he said, “You are Simon, the son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which is translated, Peter).

The next day he desired to go out into Galilee, and he came upon Philip. And Jesus said to him, “Follow me.”

But Philip was from Bethsaida, from the city of Andrew and of Peter. Philip came upon Nathanael and he said to him, “He whom Moses wrote in the law and the prophets we find, Jesus, son of Joseph from Nazareth.”

And Nathanael said to him, “Is anything good able to come from Nazareth?”

Philip said to him, “Come and see.”

Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him and said about him, “Behold, a true Israelite in whom deceit, there is none.”

Nathanael said to him, “From where do you know me?”

Jesus answered and said to him, “Before Philip called you, you were by the fig tree. I saw you.”

Nathanael said to him, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God. You are the king of Israel.”

Jesus answered and said to him, “Because I said that I saw you under the fig tree, you believe? Greater than this you will see.”

And he said to him, “Truly, truly I say to you, you will see the sky open and the angels of God go up and come down upon the Son of Man.”

No comments: