Thursday, July 5, 2012

Thoughts from the Third Session at Triennial


Here are some quotes from tonight's session with Francis Chan.  I've heard several of his sermons before, so a lot of what has been said in his messages during Triennial is stuff I've heard before.  Let that be a lesson to you: don't listen to too many sermons.  Wait, that's not right.  Anyway, he's still saying good stuff, and he's contextualizing it for his audience.  Lots of good stuff to think about here.

"How like God to make the best singer in the room someone who is deaf." (said after a performance by deaf singer Mandy Harvey)

"The thing I love about Peter and John was that people knew them for their boldness (Acts 4.13).  They didn’t notice them because they were smart or educated, but because they were bold.  When I see people in America I see people that are SO educated, but are cowards."

"John Piper told me the last time I saw him that I looked great; that I looked relaxed and in good shape.  I was actually kind of offended.  Well, not offended – convicted.  When I got to thinking about it, last year was too easy.  I don’t want it to be easy – I want it to be a war."

"I don’t want to be a soldier that complains ever time someone shoots at me.  That’s just part of the deal.  That’s what we’re here for."

"I want to know that if someone were the only believer in their city, that they would walk with the Lor boldly."

"The goal of discipleship is that the disciple can stand alone boldly."

"When are you going to experience the Holy Spirit of God?  When you’re out there being a witness.  When you’re taking risks.  When does God 'come through?'  When you’re in a lion’s den.  When you’re before the authorities.  When you’re on a mountain with the prophets of Baal.  When they throw you in a furnace of fire.  It’s when we go and make disciples."

"Why was the Spirit given?  So we could be his witnesses.  So the people could know there has been a prophet among them."

No comments: