Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Prayer For The New Year

A Puritan prayer, entitled "New Year," from the book, "The Valley Of Vision."

O Lord, length of days does not profit me except the days are passed in your presence, in your service, to your glory.

Give me a grace that precedes, follows, guides, sustains, sanctifies, and aids every hour, that I may not be one moment apart from you but may rely on your Spirit to supply every thought, speak in every word, direct every step, prosper every work, build up every mote of faith, and give me a desire to show forth your praise, testify to your love, and advance your kingdom.

I launch my bark on the unknown waters of this year with you, O father, as my harbor, the Son at my helm, and the HOly Spirit filling my sails.

Guide me to heaven with my lamp burning, my ear open to your call, my heart full of love, my soul free.

GIve me your grace to sanctify, your comforts to cheer, your wisdom to teach, your right hand to guide, your counsel to instruct, your law to judge, and your presence to stabilize.

May your fear be my awe, your triumphs my joy.

No comments: