Saturday, June 21, 2008

Words To Live By...Or Not

During my young adulthood, I kept a notebook in which I recorded quotes and random statements that made me either think, laugh, or learn. I recently found this notebook stashed away on a bookshelf, so I picked it up to look at it, having not read it in years. The quotes I read brought back some memories (some of which showed me how young and stupid I used to be!). What follows are some selections that I thought were interesting. You probably won't recognize many of the names that these quotes are attributed to. I merely found them in something I read, heard a speaker say them, or saw them somewhere and they made me think, chuckle, or be introspective. See for yourself:

You should be living in such a way that you are expecting God to do the impossible.
Kent Julian

-I hardly ever so longed to live to God and to be altogether devoted to Him; I want to wear out my life in His service and for His glory.
David Brainerd.

If you want to be noticed, stand up. If you want to be heard, speak up. If you want to be appreciated, shut up and sit down.
Anonymous

This is God’s universe, so He does things His way. Now, you may have a better way to do things, but you don’t have a universe.
J. Vernon McGee (the sub-heading of this blog. These are words that I constantly have to remind myself to remember.)

No one can become an authentic Christian on a steady diet of activity. Power comes out of stillness; strength comes out of solitude.
Bill Haydes

All of God’s giants have been weak men who did great things for God, because they have reckoned on God’s being with them.
Hudson Taylor

I have set it in my mind that one soul outweighs the universe.
Phoebe Palmer

Just because sin is popular doesn’t make it any less sinful.
Reggie White

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble.
Helen Keller

Some wish to live within the sound of chapel and church bell. I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of hell!
C.T. Stud

If who I am is what I have, and what I have is lost, then who am I?
Al Ahlquist

We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.
Anonymous

Some people will leave a mark on this word. Others will just leave a stain.
Anonymous

Fear is Nature’s (God’s) way of saying “Get busy.”
Henry Link

Hard work has a future, laziness pays off now.
Anonymous

I’m not into working out. My philosophy: no pain, no pain.
Carol Leifer

Don’t let it end like this. Tell them I said something.
Poncho Villa (his last words)

The face of a child can say it all – especially the mouth part of the face.
Anonymous

Everything that can be invented has been invented.
Charles H. Duell (commissioner of U.S. office of patents, 1899)

Blessed is he who laughs at himself, for he will never cease to be entertained.
John Powell

If you try and don’t succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
Some Jerk

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES.
The Management

No other country in history can claim the quality of life or degree of liberty that many Americans today take for granted.
Charlton Heston

Many of you have enough dust on your Bibles to be able to spell out the word "damnation" on the cover.
Charles Spurgeon (to his congregation!)

Sometimes a majority only means that all of the fools are on the same side.
Anonymous

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings – they did it by killing all those who opposed them.
Inspirational office poster

And Jesus said, “Who do you say I am?” And they answered, “You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being, the kerugma in which we find the ultimate meaning of our interpersonal relationship.” And Jesus said, “What?”

Of all the habits that lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would men claim the tributes of patriotism who would work to destroy these great pillars of human happiness…it is impossible to govern rightly without God and the Bible.
George Washington

Give me lord, a soul that knows nothing of boredom, groans, and sighs. Never let me be overly concerned for this inconsistent thing I call “me.”
Thomas More

I like long walks – especially when they’re taken by people who annoy me.
Fred Allen

Fully, to enjoy is to glorify. In commanding us to glorify Him, God is inviting us to enjoy Him.
C.S. Lewis

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Socrates

The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous today as it was in Samson’s time.
James Swanson

If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.
John Chancellor

The Lord loveth a cheerful giver. He also accepteth from the grouch.
Anonymous

To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.
Abraham Lincoln

Someone always has it worse.
Anonymous

Act in the valley so that you need not fear those who stand on the hill.
Proverb

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
Voltaire

What luck for the rulers that men do not think.
Adolf Hitler

The important thing is to never stop questioning.
Albert Einstein

If you want to be popular, a good thing to do is cut off your arm with a toothpick and go around slapping people with it. At least that’s what works for me.
Anonymous

I’ve learned a lot from my cat. Like, life isn’t just a bowl full of steaming rat entrails – sometimes it can be very unpleasant too.
Anonymous

One man with courage makes a majority.
Andrew Jackson

Let us humbly commit our righteous cause to the great Lord of the universe. Let us joyfully leave our concerns in the hands of Him who raises up and puts down the empires and kingdoms as He pleases.
John Hancock

Goodness without wisdom always accomplishes evil.
Robert Heinlein

Life is short. Unless, of course, you’re hanging by your eyelids from two metal chains attached to a crane, waiting for help to arrive, in which case, time tends to drag a bit.
Tom Sims

Some days you’re the pigeon, and some days you’re the statue.
Anonymous

One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in their struggle for independence.
C.A. Beard

$100.00 placed at 7% interest compounded quarterly for 200 years will increase to more than $100,000,000, by which time it will be worth nothing to you.
Robert Heinlein

Money can’t buy happiness, but you can be sad in a better neighborhood.
Jerry Seinfeld

Drawing on my fine command of language, I choose to say nothing.
Mark Twain

If you don’t love yourself, your neighbor’s in trouble.
Anonymous

Live like you’ll die tomorrow – die knowing you’ll live forever.
Rich Mullins (I think)

How long a minute is depends on which side of the bathroom door you’re on.
Anonymous

Birds of a feather flock together. Then they all get sucked into the engine of the same jet liner.
Meghan Skinner

Men and women who are truly filled with light are those who have gazed deeply into the darkness of their imperfect existence.
Brennan Manning

Could it be that boulders are just statues of big rocks?
Anonymous

Stoop and you’ll be stepped on – stand tall and you’ll be shot at.
Carlos Urbizo

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
Barry LePatner

Never judge a book by its movie.
Anonymous

Show me a man with both feet on the ground and I’ll show you a man who can’t put on his pants.
Anonymous

Reality is the leading cause of stress for those in touch with it.
Jack Wagner

If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it’s another nonconformist who doesn’t conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity.
Bill Vaughan

The greatest things in life aren’t things.
Anonymous

The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense.
Tom Clancy

The question is not how much of what I have do I give to God, but how much of what God has do I keep for myself?
Anonymous

If you take a dog in and feed it, it will remain loyal to you and never turn on you. This is the principle difference between dog and man.
Mark Twain

I know that there are people in this world who do not love their fellow man, and I HATE people like that.
Tom Lehrer

The bigger they are, the harder they punch.
Anonymous

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Anonymous

God’s judgment may not be immediate, but it is inevitable.
Anonymous

Keep the faith…but not to yourself.
Anonymous

No comments: